The objective of the Africa Initiative for Planetary and Space Sciences is to:
– Connect African Planetary and Space Scientists with their international peers, by facilitating cross-border collaborations while overcoming traditional language barriers,
– Build a road map for Planetary and Space Sciences in Africa, by identifying key research areas where African scientists can make significant contributions,
– Solicit sponsors to support the development of this research domain in Africa,
– Contribute to sustainable development in Africa through research, education, and public outreach in Planetary and Space sciences.
More information about the motivations and objectives of the initiative may be found in the article published in EOS:
Initiative for Planetary and Space Sciences, EOS, 98.
The structure of the Initiative is described below. There are different ways to contribute to this initiative. Click on the link below to find the current list of active members.
- Steering committee
The steering committee is composed of 8 members, comprising one member for each region of Africa (West Africa, North Africa, East Africa, South Africa and Central Africa) and three members outside of Africa.Members of the steering committee supervise the initiative. The tasks include :
– Nominating members of the Scientific Advisory Committee,
– Identifying and contacting sponsors to fund research and education proposals
– Writing of calls for proposals,
– Allocating funds (e.g., selection of the places where the workshops will be organized in 2018) based on recommendations by the Scientific Advisory Committee and Education and Outreach committee,
– Guiding the vision and mission of AFIPS in consultation with other committees.
- Principal Investigators and their Collaborators
The initiative is conceived as a network of projects, independently funded, and run by Africa-based team, composed of a Principal Investigators and their collaborators. The role of P.I. and their collaborators is to:
– Develop research or education proposals,
– Discuss research and education proposals with the Scientific Advisory Committee and/or Education and Outreach Committee,
– Initiate international collaborations with the support of the Scientific Advisory Committee and/or Education and Outreach Committee,
– Search of sponsors for research and education projects, with the support of the Scientific Advisory Committee and/or Education and Outreach Committee.
- Scientific Advisory Committee
The Scientific Advisory Committee is composed on ten members. The role of the committee members are to:
– Mentor principal investigators and their collaborators to develop Research in Planetary and Space Sciences in Africa,
– Contribute to science peer-review of submitted research proposals (by invitation of the steering committee),
– Assist African groups with professional networking to develop Planetary and Space Sciences in Africa.
- Education and outreach commitee
The Education and outreach committee is composed of ten members. The role of the committee members are to:
– Mentor principal investigators and their collaborators on developing Education in Planetary and Space Sciences in Africa,
– Contribute to peer-review of submitted research proposals (by invitiation of the steering committee),
– Assist African groups with professional networking to develop education in Planetary and Space Sciences in Africa.
The members of the Steering Committee, Scientific Advisory Committee, and Education and Outreach committee should be leading active scientifists in their respective field of research with both a strong record of scientific publication and recent scientific production, and/or demonstrate outstanding activity for public outreach and scientific communication. The members of the Scientific Advisory Committee, and Education and Outreach committee are nominated for a period of two years, renewable twice, for a maximum of 6 years.
- Communication, outreach, relation with the public and the media
One person is being in charge of communication with the public and the media. This person is the spoke-person of the initiative, and is permanently invited to participate to steering committee meeting.